Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a health problem which cause hormonal imbalances and problems with metabolism. This syndrome is commonly found in one out of ten women. Hormonal imbalance or metabolism problems affect the overall health and appearance of women. PCOS is the main cause of infertility as Ovarian issue leads to irregular periods or no periods.
Apart from Infertility there are many symptoms that effect health and appearance of women:
- Hirsutism (too much hair on parts of the body where men usually have hair)
- Acne on face, upper back
- Male pattern baldness
- Weight gain. etc
The main cause of PCOS is still unknown, but many factors including genetics, play a role:
Excess Insulin– Excess insulin increases the production of androgen causing difficulty with ovulation.
Excess Androgen – The ovaries produce high levels of androgen, resulting in hirsutism and acne.
Healthful diet, exercising daily and adding certain supplements are important strategies you can use if you’ve been diagnosed with PCOS. Following these diet and lifestyle changes can also reduce your chances of developing other health concern.
Food that can consume
- High-fiber vegetables
- Lean protein, such as fish
- Anti-inflammatory foods and spices, such as turmeric
Food Items To Limit
- Don’t have refined carbohydrates: food which increase insulin resistance and cause inflammation which will worsen your PCOS symptoms like white bread, pastries, muffins.
- Don’t have sugary snacks or drinks: Excess sugar is one of the main causes of insulin resistance and should be avoided at all costs.
- Don’t have inflammatory foods: Foods such as French fries, margarine, red meat, should be avoided as much as possible.
Do’s And Dont’s for a healthy lifestyle
- Make sure that proper weight is maintained.
- Have adequate sleep.
- Maintain a record of your menstrual cycle.
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol.
- Do not skip meals or sleep. A disciplined lifestyle is key to better health.
- Avoid Hormonal treatment as far as possible.
Change in Lifestyle is beneficial for Women with PCOS:
Fit exercise in daily routine
Maintain a positive attitude
Adopt healthy eating habits.