Every Indian house hold, being of any religion has some or the other ritual which constitutes of fasting. It always become a bizarre and point of discussion to let a “To Be Mom” stay on fast or not? Why to make it so complicated.. when every religion excuses expecting mom and breastfeeding mom from fasting.
Why Fasting is harmful during pregnancy?
1. A baby who is developing inside womb is completely dependent on its Mother. Forcing yourself towards any starvation may end up into developmental issues of the baby.
2. Listening to the needs of your body is must during pregnancy. Every minute fetus develops itself. Cells into its body is very rapidly dividing and hence it is advised to pregnant women to take nutritive food in every 2 hours.
3. Proper diet and nutrition is important for an expecting mother as her body is circulating so much of blood to the body and fetus through out the day. Iron supplements folic acid calcium etc are mandatory just to avoid the chances of any deficiency in the new born.
4. Many experts say; Starving yourself for prolonged hours may lead to preterm labor.
5. Low glucose level in Mother’s body can cause various difficulties afterwards during delivery.
6. Even skipping on breakfast is as harmful as fasting.
IF YOU DO NOT FULFILL THE DEMAND OF NUTRITION FOR FETAL GROWTH FROM OUTSIDE IT STARTS WITHDRAWING IT FROM MOTHER’S DEPOSITS.
Example: When enough of calcium is not provided to the fetus, it tries to fulfill the demand from mother’s deposit in bones. That is the reason why many women become weak after delivery, they even have to lactate for their new born and hence go more deficit on calcium levels. (NOTE:Taking supplements is necessary)
Therefore, please keep up the festival spirit and munch on the nutrition whole day.