Summers are almost round the corner and we do prepare our-self for this hot and humid season. Stepping into the kitchen in hot summer days is such a task. There are times when we end up eating a lot of hot and spicy foods during summers that might result in rising internal heat of our body. We might feel the acidity or problems related with it, especially in Indian weather. To avoid these symptoms, here are ways to keep your body cool, with some easy, mouth watering and delicious and healthy recipes for summers.
Summer Must Haves
An important point one should remember during the summers is to stay hydrated. Include a lot of body cooling beverages and hydrating soups and dishes, that will also help you in providing your body the much needed vitamin and mineral doses. Pick seasonal vegetables and fruits, is also important because they keep the body cool and protected from sun strokes and heat. One can include the following in the diet :
- Drink plenty of water, always remember to drink some when you are going out in sun.
- Eat fresh seasonal fruits like melons, mangoes, sapodillas and more.
- Try and eat fresh salads.
- It is important to eat light food, that would save us from stomach acidity and infections as they are common in summers.
- Intake of liquids and fluids should be more in summers to keep our min and body cool.
Cool And Healthy Recipes For Summers
Here are some interesting, healthy recipes for summers that are easy to cook and eat. You should definitely try in summers.
1. Cool and soothing summer drinks
As discussed earlier, one should keep themselves hydrated in summers. Here are some quick drinks recipes:
1. MASALA CHAAS. ( FLAVORED BUTTER MILK)
Chaas is churned with water and other Indian spices are added to enhance its flavors. Masala Chaas is a mild spicy drink with mint leaves and is a super tasty and refreshing drink during summers. This is a great drink with the meal and is healthy too.
- A cup full of yogurt ( single serve)
- 1 cup water or more. If you want the consistency to be more liquid.
- Some min leaves.
- Some coriander leaves.
- Half green chilly.
- Sugar half teaspoon.
- Salt as per taste.
- Black pepper, black salt.
- Roasted cumin seeds powder.
- Asofetida (optional)
- Blend yogurt and water.
- Finely chop coriander, mint and chilly and add in the mixture.
- Now add all the spices- salt , black salt, pepper and sugar asofetida and cumin powder.
- Mix the chaas well.
- Ready to serve. enjoy this with your meal and feel fresh and hydrated, the whole day.
2. MANGO LASSI
This is refreshing summer drink, which is made from mangoes and almonds and yogurt. This can be served as a dessert also.
- Half cup mango puree.
- 1 spoon of sugar or honey whatever you like.
- 1 cup of fresh yogurt or curd.
- 4-5 soaked almonds.
- A pinch of saffron strands
- 1 spoon grated almonds.
- Some saffron strands.
- Some fresh mango pieces.
- mint leaves.
- Blend together, mango pulp, yogurt, sugar or honey and almonds.
- Add some saffrons strands too.
- Pour the mix in glass.
- Garnish it with almond flakes and saffron.
- Put some fresh mango pieces and lastly top it with a mint leaf.
- Serve chilled!
3. ROSE LASSI
Rose Lassi is a rose flavored sweet yogurt drink which is super refreshing for the summers. It is easy to make and tastes delicious. Follow the steps and make this easy recipe at home.
- 1 cup yogurt.
- 2 spoons of rose syrup.
- 1 teaspoon of sugar or as per taste.
- Chilled water and ice cubes.
- In a blender, mix yogurt with sugar, rose syrup, some ice cubes and water.
- blend it well, to get a smooth texture.
- pour it in a glass with some ice cubes and
- serve chilled with your snacks.
4. WATERMELON COCONUT COOLIE
It is a an easy and so refreshing drink for summers, no one can say no to.
- A cup of chopped watermelon.
- 1 cup of coconut water.
- 1 teaspoon full lemon juice.
- some salt and sugar as per your taste (optional)
- some black pepper powder.
- Ice cubes and some chilled water.
- min leaves and lemon slice for garnishing.
- Blend watermelon with coconut water, lemon juice, water, ice cubes and sugar.
- Add salt and pepper powder (optional)
- pour it in a fancy glass with some ice cubes in it.
- Garnish it with some mint leaves and lemon slice
- serve chilled in a summer evening.
5. MINT MOJITO
It is common drink now for summers and almost everyone loves it. here is an easy way by which, you can make it at home.
- A bunch of fresh mint leaves.
- Slices of a lemon.
- Sugar as per taste.
- 1 glass of soda.
- Ice cubes.
- lemon and mint for garnishing.
- Crush mint leaves, sugar, lemon slices and ice cubes together.
- Put the crushed mixture in a glass.
- Add soda in it and some ice cubes.
- Garnish with few mint leaves and a lemon slice.
- Serve as a welcome drink.
2. Super Easy Summer Dishes
After some cool drinks let’s see some easy, quick, mouth watering, and healthy recipes for summers.
1 MELON SALAD WITH MINT CHUTNEY DRESSING
This a great summer salad as all the ingredients are fresh and helps us in staying hydrated in summers.
- A cup of water melon. (diced)
- A cup of musk melon.
- A cup of yellow melon (honeydew melon)
- peanuts and sesame seeds.
- Mint leaves ( for chutney)
- Lemon juice.
- Olive oil for garnishing.
For chutney dressing.
- Blend mint leaves, some peanuts, sugar , salt and lemon juice with some water.
- your dressing for the salad is ready.
- In a bowl mix all the different types of melons, add peanuts .
- pour the chutney dressing on the top.
- Drizzle some olive oil on the salad, mix it well.
- Add few drops of lemon juice.
- serve the salad chilled.
2. TURMERIC COCONUT RICE
It is a super tasty summer recipe, which can go with any veggies or curries. I t is also cool and refreshing dish for summers.
- 1 cup Basmati rice, soaked for about 15 minutes.
- 2 cups full of coconut milk.
- 1 1/2 cups of water.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- salt to taste.
- coriander for garnishing.
- In a deep pan pour water, coconut milk, salt and turmeric and simmer it for about 3-4 minutes.
- Next add rice in the pan.
- Cover and cook on low flame for about 20 minutes.
- After this, remove the pan from the flame and keep aside.
- Let it cool by itself, this will make the rice more vibrant and will look good.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve warm.
3. KURKURE KARELE ( FRIED BITTER GOURD)
It is delicious and diabetic friendly dry sabzi which is crispy and crunchy and has a chatpata taste from the amchur(dry mango powder). Which your children will also love to eat.
- 2 bitter gourds
- Oil for frying.
- for tempering- mustard seeds, fennel seeds and some cumin seeds.
- spices like- red chilly powder, turmeric powder,coriander powder, salt to taste and Garam masala( Indian 5 spice powder)
- Firstly wash the karelas thoroughly, and the cut them. keep them soaked in water and salt for about an hour.
- Squeeze out all the water water from the karelas.
- Take a pan and heat some oil, add mustard seeds, fennel seeds and cumin seeds in it.
- Add karelas in the pan and fry them until they are brown and crispy.
- Add all the spices in the pan, mix well.
- Let it get cool for a while, this will make the karelas more crispy.
- Serve with chapati or rice and enjoy!
4. BOONDI RAITA.
Raita is classic Indian side dish, which is enjoyed with so many dishes like biriyani, rice, naans and kulchas it is even eaten as it is. It is a healthy and refreshing must have dish in summers.
- 1 cup of yogurt.
- 2 tablespoons of boondi, already soaked for 10 minutes.
- Sugar- 1 spoon.
- Salt to taste.
- Red chilly powder (optional)
- roasted cumin powder.
- pepper powder.
- mint and coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Whisk the curd into a smooth mix, add all the spices and sugar .
- Mix again and add the soaked boondis.
- Garnish with coriander and mint leaves and serve.
These were some amazingly cool and healthy recipes for summers. Hope you guys will definitely try and stay hydrated this summer.
Also Read: Drinks Recipes For The Hottest Summer Days